Friday, June 26, 2009

Why I do long rides?

This question always comes up. From people you know, from people who are cyclists, from those who aren't. Even from fellow randonneurs. Of all of the things to do on a Saturday or a Sunday afternoon, why are you out here doing this, riding your bike 100, 200 or more miles. What is it that motivates you to do these rides of distances that are seemingly beyond reach.

Its a question that comes up a lot. And on brevets, we typically spend some time talking about it. Everyone's reasons are a little different. I think it has to be that way, because to endure those miles, you have to be out there for your reasons, not someone else's. So after a lot of thought, here is my answer.


Its About the Experience

Two of the best experiences I have had on a bike are riding though Yellowstone and Grand Teton National parks. Too often today, people choose to treat life as a spectator sport and not something to participate in. Its easier to watch the ball game on TV than to get out, but the experience when getting on the road is so much more. Its the fresh air, the scenery, the back roads, the seeing a road as you have never seen it before. When you watch TV or a movie, you are watching someone else's interpretation of things, whatever it may be. When you are out on your bike, you are experiencing all of those things first hand.


Its About the Adventure

One of my riding mates on the 400 km (Joe) brought this up. There really aren't many ways to go on a 'big adventure' these days. A long ride is one way to break out of that every day routine, to go farther than you ever have and see things you never thought you could see, to be a participant and not just a spectator. Its the adventure of what will be around the next corner or at the top of the next hill. It goes along with that experience thing, to experience something that at least for you is a little bit epic.

Its About What I Can Accomplish
I will never wear the rainbow jersey of the road race world champion. I'll never wear the Yellow Jersey of the race leader of the Tour de France. I'll never solo to victory in Liege-Bastogne-Liege or any other spring classic. I just wasn't born with those genetics. And even if I was, I didn't take up cycling until too late, and I'm not willing to dedicate my entire life to road racing. I made other choices, and I'm happy with those choices.

But I can and have completed a 400 km brevet. I can, and next year plan to complete a 600 km ride and a full super randonneur series. If I so choose, I can complete Paris-Brest-Paris or another 1200 km ride. Are those difficult, aggressive goals? No doubt? But they are also all goals that I can complete, based solely on how hard I train and my willpower to overcome the obstacles I face. And as I complete each one, I know the accomplishment is all mine

Its About the People
This is the best reason. Randonneurs as a group are great people. All kinds of interesting life experiences. What is better than being able to spend a few hours with someone who shares an interest with you trading stories of things you have done. The events are long enough and we travel at an appropriate pace that conversation is encouraged. And that is a great way to pass a day.

It also is often said that randonneurs trade competition for the camaraderie of one another. This is very true. There is no bravado, no smugness of the fast guys. I'm sure there are some primadonnas out there some where, but by far the exception and not the rule. Every one out there is pulling for everyone else to finish and do well. There is just as much respect for the rider who finishes last as there is the rider who finishes first (many times more respect). It truly is everyone rooting for each other. And in today's self rewarding, me first world, that kind of community is hard to find.

Everyone has their reasons, but those are mine.

No comments: