Sunday, June 28, 2009

Sometimes Your Body Says Stop

And that's what mine did this weekend.

I've been battling a cold for a couple weeks. Nothing too bad, but its there. And you don't really feel like pressing it. I've followed the old rule, since its only in my head and not my chest, I've kept riding. I have better and worse days, but its hanging on and just won't go away.

When I woke up Saturday, I felt awful. I felt like I was breathing through a straw there was so much crud in my throat. Whatever I did, I couldn't clear up my sinuses. For whatever reason, I'd taken a turn for the worse. Riding Saturday was out. And I decided not to go to Marinette to do the Menominee River ride. I needed to rest and get better.

To me, its clear what my body was saying. I needed rest. I've put in a lot of miles the last 3 months. 2850 of them. And that was really starting from no on road riding (my winter work had been all CompuTrainer). I did the 200, 300 and 400 km brevets. I have 7 total rides over 100 miles. While I have accomplished a lot, I've probably pushed myself a little harder and further than what I could handle. My body needed a break, to get well and to offload some fatigue.

I felt better Sunday, but still didn't ride. Winds were crazy in Appleton, and I think I needed a couple days off.

Sometimes its easy to focus on ride, ride ride, train, train, train. Sometimes though, all you need is rest. And if you miss it, your body will let you know.

No comments: