Saturday, May 30, 2009

Riding to Ripon

I set out today to do a long ride ahead of next weeks 400 km Brevet. Not so much for the physical training as for more mental preparation. I chose to head southwest to the small town of Ripon, WI. I had originally planned to do a loop, but I didn't get going until about 11:30 AM, so I just did an out and back. Still, I got in 111 miles.

The town of Ripon is interesting for a number of reasons. First, its home to Ripon College. For students who agree not to bring a car to campus, the College will give that student a brand new mountain bike. I think this is great. We need more progressive thinking like this so people realize that firing up a car isn't the only way to get somewhere. If we are ever to solve our environmental problems and break our dependency on foreign oil, its going to take more forward thinking like this. Secondly, Ripon is where the Republican Party was founded way back in 1854. So a little history for you, how about that.

It was another windy day in Appleton. The wind was blowing anywhere from 16-22 mph, first out of the west and then out of the Northwest. It was almost as bad as a couple weeks ago on the 300 km brevet. And since it shifted to the northwest, I did have a headwind coming back as well. What helped though is that when I would turn south on the way out or east on the way back, I would get a break from the wind, and that was nice.

My route was pretty basic. I road from Appleton to Neenah using Lake Road. Then in Neenah, I use Park Road to get to the south end of Neenah. Here, you jump on County G headed due west an take this all the way out to County M where you are just north of Winneconne. I filled water bottles in Winneconne and then started a zig-zag route heading southwest. First it was Quigley Road, and then O'Reilly Road. Liberty School Road, Poygan Avenue and Edgewater Ridge Road get you to County Road K headed due south. This takes you into a small town called Eureka. Note, I did not see any convenience stores here, just a couple bars, so be sure to refuel in Winneconne, because there is nothing in Eureka. From here you get on County E headed south and that takes you all the way into Ripon.

I had a sandwich at The Sub Shop right in downtown Ripon. The sub was excellent, and not just because I was hungry. They have a great selection of sandwiches, so if you are in Ripon, be sure to stop by. Then headed over to the little school house where the Republican Party was founded. Apparently the restoration was funded by the town and the chamber of commerce. I snapped a few pictures outside and poked my head in. Unlike the political machinery of today, its just a simple one room schoolhouse that long ago hosted a very important meeting. Finally, I road over to the college campus to look around, refueled at the local BP and then started the trip home via the same roads described above.

It was a long day on the bike, but it should be good preparation for next week. I should be prepared to mentally battle through some wind. And I've now done two 100 mile plus rides since the 300 km, so my training should be sufficient.

I did snap a few pictures today. I was a bit of a tourist. But that is OK. I don't always have to be a randonneur minimizing my time at the stops. Sometimes, I go out and ride and just see something I want to take a picture of. That was today.


"The wind was baaaaaaah-d today"


The school house in Ripon where the Republican Party was founded.


Some of the scenery along the ride. Nice green Wisconsin hills.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very Cool Man - If you're ever in OCC country look me up, we'll ride.
See you on the road,
Brian Kienert
www.oshkoshcyclingclub.com