Friday, October 24, 2008

A Mighty Mighty Wind


One thing Wisconsin seems to have no shortage of is wind. Forget the "frozen tundra of Lambeau Field". On a road bike it seems to be more "the windswept plains of rural America". Thursday, October 23 was no exception. There was a howling wind out of the east blowing at a constant 20 mph.

Calumet County Wisconsin is a client for the IT Consulting company I work for, so I was in Chilton for a 1:00 PM meeting. I brought my bike, and after my meeting changed clothes and headed off south of Chilton for a ride. My original intention was to do the route below, a 42 miler.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/216493

But the wind coupled with the fact that I hadn't had lunch was too much. I turned arund on County Road GG near Hickory Road and just went back to Chilton.

This is good country to ride in. Its all rural with lots of farms with big red barns. As you get further south you also get a few rolling hills, which are nice to change things up. I know further west there is a road called Seven Hills Road that lives up to its name. Chilton is a neat little town too with some interesting buildings. Here's a picture of a bank downtown, built when banks projected an image of strength, stability and security.


The wind was tough today. But this time of year, you take the days you can get. It didn't feel like 52 degrees (which was the temp) due to the wind, but I got 24 miles in, so nothing wrong with that.

No comments: