Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Ledgeview Ride and Fall Colors

Fall is in full swing in northeast Wisconsin. To take advantage of some of the fantastic colors coming into view, I reprised a route I created in the spring to go riding east of De Pere up onto the ridge line. The name of the road at the top of the ridge is called Ledgeview, so that is kind of what I call this route. What I like about the route is that while close to De Pere, it is actually quite rural and scenic. The area around Ledgeview and Sportsmans roads seem to be more established with more trees. In some ways it reminds me of Door county, but it isn't a 90 minute drive away.

I did a bit of a variation on my normal route today. First, I took the Fox River Trail all the way to the point where the pavement ends and the trail turns back into crushed limestone. This is now at Lasee Road. It is also new this summer. The pavement used to end at Rockland Road, but 4 more miles of trail were paved this summer. The trail is nice in town, but out of town it is even better. Trees line each side and there is less traffic. In one place you are enveloped in trees as you cross a wooden bridge over some low marshlands. This is a terrific amenity for the citizens of De Pere and Green Bay.



Bike route 716544 - powered by Bikemap


Otherwise, the route is pretty much the same. I did the climbs up County W and County X but skipped Scray Hill Road this time. I like loping up through the neighborhood on my way back to De Pere as well. Much less traffic than Chicago street, and this time of year, many trees in this well to do subdivision are turning colors. I ended up getting back to the office on Main. Not something I like, but Grant is under construction at the railroad tracks, so Main is the only choice to get across without going out of your way.

Otherwise, enjoy the photographs
















No comments: