Sunday, July 4, 2010

109 Miles for the 4th

With two weeks to go before Indiana, today was going to be my last long ride in preparation. Unfortunately, the weather has not really wanted to cooperate. Both days this weekend, we have had a lot of wind, and that was true today. And it was very hot and humid. At the same time though, you can't always just train when the wind is at your back and the temp is 72. So I needed to get a long ride in, so out I went.

My route would take me back to Iola. I have been there before when I did my big Waupaca loop of 130 miles. But today's ride would be a simple out and back with Iola as the turn around. This would get me a little bit over a century. The reason for the out and back is that storms were forecast to roll in during the afternoon. With an out and back, if it starts to look real nasty, you can turn at any point. Finally, this would take me through Manawa, and I'd been around that area but never through, so a little something new.





I started off about 8:45 AM this morning. It was already a muggy, humid day. I could tell this one was going to be a real sticky ride right from the beginning. Its bad when there isn't much difference between the dewpoint and the temp, and that was today. I think the humidity was about 65-70%. Right from the start, my bike jersey was soaked, and I remind you, these are fabrics that are designed to wick the sweat away and keep you dry.

The other factor apparent from the start was the wind. It was coming out of the Southwest at 15 mph. Going west was hard, but after the first few miles, my legs loosened up and I was able to make OK progress into it. It still took a lot of energy though. There were times the wind seemed to be coming more from the south rather than the Southwest, but still just as strong. I did get a bit of an assist from it on the way back, until I had to go due south. See, the wind had been actually picking up all day, so when I got back to Appleton, it was blowing at 25 gusting to 32 mph. Just insane.

As for the rest of the ride. The route to New London is nothing special. I took Rock road out which is always nice and a little roll. Once getting to New London, I took County Road X out of town to the west. This is nice because you go along the banks of the river for a few miles. A lot of folks out fishing today. County X heads more south at the Little Wolf River, but this is where I turned off on Ostrander Road to keep going west. Nice area in here. Good views of the river. Very rural.

From there, you get on 54 real quick and then onto County B to head up to Manawa. This is real nice in here. The little Wolf River is off to your left, mostly hidden by a tree line but occasionally peaking through. In Manawa, I stopped to refuel, then continued west. You go through Ogdensburg, which has no services (well, a couple bars, but I'm never brave enough to go in those in cycling wear. I'd have to be real desperate). Then it is onto Iola. There starts to be more roll to the terrain the closer to Iola you get. These are the Rib Mountains. Not really mountains, but hills from a rock formation. Nothing serious to climb, but you know it isn't flat either.

In Iola, I stopped at the Cenex, which is nice because it has a covered place to eat. But I didn't stay out there, just got my Gatorade and headed back. It was clouding up good, and I wanted to keep moving. This weekend, they were having the old time car show in Iola, so it would have been cool to have some more time, but not today. I did get to see a number of the old cars on the road as they passed me though.

A lot of good river scenery today. I saw a lot of folks enjoying the 4th tubing down the river, fishing, whatever. And it was hot enough today that there were times where that seemed a lot more attractive than what I was doing.

Friends of yours?


Wolf River just West of New London. This area is an
important spawning area for sturgeon.

Little Wolf River off Ostrander Road.


Coming into Manawa (notice water tower in the background).
Water towers are important to cyclists in the Midwest
because it lets you know you are getting close to town.

Little Wolf River in Little Wolf. A nice way to spend
the 4th, floating down the river.

No comments: