Monday, June 21, 2010

Navarino Area 100

One of my favorite areas to ride in the Appleton area in the Navarino area. It can roughly be described as the area east of the wolf river, west of Highway 47, north of Highway 54 out of Shiocton and south of Highway 29 south of Shawano. Much of the area is home to a nature preserve, so it is wooded. This adds a lot more interest than row after row of corn. I also like this area because it is possible to ride there from Appleton. No need to get in a car and drive two hours.

On Sunday, I rode out of Appleton via Rock Road, and then up to Shiocton. North on Highway 187, crossing the Wolf River on Highway 156. Up to Embarrass where I took my first stop. Then Cloverleaf Lake Road past the lakes and back East of the Wolf River, crossing on County CCC. This time, I wound around County T to get to Sunrise, Valley and Wildlife roads to eventually end up on Lower Navarino. I think I like taking McDonald road better. A better quality surface, and more scenic. Back down past Deer View Road and into Black Creek for another stop, and then back to Appleton. Of the 100 miles I did, probably a good 50+ were in wooded areas.

The area is very low traffic too. Once you get off of Rock Road, you see very few cars. The area around Cloverleaf Lakes is built up, but it is OK. And some of the road is very scenic.

I took a few pictures, so I will let them tell the rest of the story.


Rolling West on Highway 156


Wolf River from the Boat Landing on Highway 156


Don't even want to know how they came up with the name.


Typical Wisconsin Dairy Farm


Crossing the Wolf River again on County CCC

No comments: